Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Settling in...I think.

So I am about to unpack the last box and I have to say, moving from a 1400sf house to a 600sf apt is quite a feat for two people who can't (normally) throw anything away. And by two people, I mean one..me. But I have, and I still have a lot more to toss. Our little place looks a lot more homey, but you'll have to wait for pics until I figure out how to post them...or take the time. I still can't find our camera, so there's that...

This is a very cool neighborhood. This weekend Ash and I got to explore it a bit more. I think we may just make concentric circles out from here. Being that we live in 'the fens' we have to walk right past the Fenway ticket office every time we go to the trains...and tonight is opening night on the home field. They've been getting ready for it since last Tuesday and there has been an increasing amount of crazy swaggering around in its Sox gear. So, we have eaten at some of the best places, and they are even in our neighborhood...mexican, greek, italian, american bistro, sushi...and that's just Fenway. We did find the Ikea, in case you were wondering, but only for storage purposes, though I must admit a tiny bit of calm did wash over me as we walked through the familiar maze of royal blue and sunshine. ;) Sad. 

The people. We have met some of the nicest people here, surprisingly. Everyone talks about how rude north easterners are, and I'm sure they can be. Helpful would be the best word I could use to date. I anticipate future altercations, but so far, even having to continue to deal with municipal employees in Bhm for a couple of our wrap-up issues have been much harder to deal with than anyone I've met so far here at City Hall. I LOVE the accent or rather, that is always surprises me to hear it so thick and at times, a lot like Peter Griffin, which only makes me smile. It has made it's way into conversation-relay for both Ashley and myself instead of our usual "he/she said" accent and I'm sure will easily trickle into our dialect without our realizing it...kind of a bastardized cotney. Oh, I should mention that I've learned three new words this week that are all racially derogatory in ways I did not expect or know previously. All of which Ashley has told me I cannot repeat, no matter how fun they may be to say. Damn.

This blogging thing is hard for me...not knowing who is reading this. I haven't gotten to the point of not caring yet. There is what I want to write and what there is to write...what's more real or what's more real for me. So I think I'll stick to a little play by play for now and hopefully it will evolve. 

6 comments:

April Barber said...

You have to blog after you go to your first Red Sox game. Girl, it is insane how crazy they are about their team. Sometimes fun....sometimes just plain damn scary! :)

hollyhu said...

oh gah. this is going to be so entertaining for me :)

Laura said...

I'm reading!

Jenny Jones said...

I am reading this and loving it!!! Sorry I will call you at lunch, Daniel loved the story about fenway and is itching to get up there asap!!! YAY!!

Angie Davis said...

i'm so glad you decided to take the plunge and let the "world" keep up with you guys. i hope you feel the freedom to just be you!

looks like we are moving in June, not sure exactly when, but we will have to have a little NE party.

Amanda said...

the fact that ashley has to restrain you from saying your new words, while not surprising, made me laugh out loud (or lol, if you will).

you are a great blogger! keep 'em comin' babe.

miss you.