Tuesday, April 22, 2008

...Rub a Dub Dub

A hot shower is one of the sexiest things there are in this world. And if cleanliness is next to godliness, then I am feeling pretty saint-like this morning. Blessed are the pipes that bring hot water! Okay, so I know I'm being really dramatic right now, but that's how amazing I feel after having previously gone two more days without a good, steamy shower...One of the many facets of Birmingham life I took for granted. Others like having my own washer and dryer and not having to dig someone else's undies out of the washer before putting my own in...or paying upwards of $5 just to do one load, half dried. Or having to go move my car from the amazing parking space I fought for just so city sweepers may or may not come by and sweep...(though that would have been a treat in Bhm...). 

I guess there are trade offs as well. There is a lot more 'music' in my daily world as I make my way around town here...walking, of course. They are often the moments I wish I had one of you guys here to eyeball with silent chuckles...someone who can appreciate them with me. ;) 

There is the guy on the Yawkey bridge right past the stadium that plays his electric guitar, mini amp and all, any time there is a home game. I have heard several renditions of motorhead, ac/dc (etc) songs over the past few weeks on my way to the trains, right down to the vocals. This guy knows his audience. Then there is the guy who sits in our particular T stop that loves to play the themes from the 1960's Willy Wonka on his cello, which ends up feeling as creepy as the boatride b/c haunting echo it has in the station. There is another man who has made a song out of asking for change next to the stadium, who actually has quite a range. Next we have the random jam fest of hippies and any passerby that will join in with sticks, spoons, tambourine, paper cup drum and the like at pretty much any common square you come to. In Davis square this past weekend, there was even a group of musicians playing an array of Old Crow and possibly some Avett Brothers in the square, but had to stop when someone wasn't staying in "D" long enough for the 'vocalist'...which I'm not sure was in any key at all. Finally, another favorite is the red line train stations, which typically have someone who seems to know a bit more about what they are playing (classical of course) and actually sound really nice...appropriate for all the classy people taking the trains from there up to Harvard and such. It almost feels like those scenes in Amelie. Beautiful. I love how eclectic it all is and am glad that I can understand this city a little bit through its music...

...And I'm CLEAN!

3 comments:

Jenny Jones said...

I give this one an A+++++ It made me smell the B.O. on the subway and the sassy walk you are doing past the stadium to the ac/dc. Love you keep up the amazing blogging!!

Suzanne Owen Jones said...

so funny. i caught up reading the blog. you have got to tell us the words you learned...also i totally had to read the "bahs-taun" title out after i read someone's comment. it made me laugh out loud. i totally know your little neighborhood. we went to the "green machine" while we were in boston 8 something years ago and even snuck in it. someone told us games days were crazy! i've got to come see you. i need to go to martha's vineyard again. maybe i'll buy a place one day when i make it to super star level as a realtor ;. keep posting. we miss you. i can't sleep, fat and preggors, catching up on blogs at 1:30, a little crazy.

hollyhu said...

i just giggled a bit at that last line...
:)