Sunday, April 27, 2008

Mary, Mary, Quite contrary...

So we were able to secure a small plot of earth in the Fenway Victory Garden area near our apt. A little history on the area is that it's the oldest continually run public garden in the United States, beginning in 1940's. It's also an Frederick Law Olmstead designed project and part of the Emerald Necklace, a series of connected parks within the Boston area that he did in the 20's. His firm also designed the Highland Park area of Birmingham. Anyway, we are pumped to get to be a part of making our neighborhood beautiful, but also getting to know the other people who have spaces down there too (and hopefully save some $$ on groceries). Apparently, there is even a fensfest, which is like a huge bbq during the summer. 

So we arrived at our new space Saturday to find a great surprise of flowers already in bloom in our little space, thanks to former 'owners.' Though we are to do all the work in our area, it's still just a rental, so we planned on reusing as much as we could. Luckily, there was also a brick pathway we dug up and re-formed so that we could make room for all the veggies we want to plant. And there were even several tools left, which totally rocked b/c we left so much of that kind of stuff in Bhm. Here's how it looked when we arrived on Saturday...


My favorite part of our new space. TULIPS...and lambs ear. :)

After about $100 and 8 hours of work later, this is how it looked when we left today...

Oh, and the area we covered up will soon be our vegetable patch, so we moved all the other original plantings that weren't near the tulips over to that side as one big grouping.


Below is a pic of my favorite garden in the FVG. This guy has been at it for years.


So that's a little bit of what we did this weekend. What did you do? I would love some comments on what to plant.  I am really missing my Cheryl and SuSu and their green thumbs living  right next door! Particularly some tomato advice. I also have swiss chard, spinach, mesclun, carrots, broccoli, summer and winter squash, basil, and of course, rosemary. I do want to plant a few more flowers and such...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um...I didn't know you had a BLOG! Hi Amy! It's Rebekka Seale. Anyway...I can't wait to read this. Now.

April Barber said...

We are about to start a community garden right outside our apartment with 13 raised beds for planting veggies, herbs and such. One of my dear friends here got the seminary to agree to let her do it and recruit help as a way to build community among the residents. Honestly though I am SCARED TO DEATH to participate. I don't know if I really have the time and love to give.....is that bad? My honey said he "signed us up to help" and I was like "what the crap are we going to do to help, we don't know anything about a garden." I guess I am up for some lessons! Ha! Love you!

CanCan said...

Hey...I'm going to have a giveaway for some cutie pie little "matchbook garden" seeds on my green blog this week. Don't forget to check back and enter, it would be cool if someone I know won!

MaryMartha said...

Thats so fun! And,the work ya'll did.. excuse me, You guys did looks incredible. I hope you post some yummy meals with your harvest. I bet your a great cook :) Poor AH, we have been moving so much...we just got a planter with flowers in it on our porch...she calls it our garden..i'll have to show her your pictures to share with her what a "real garden" looks like.