Friday, May 9, 2008

Weekend, I prefer the WEEKend

So it's Friday and I'm more excited than I should be since my 'work week' is not the 8-5p I was accustomed to loooong ago. I think b/c my husband is strapped into that (rather the 9-6p, or 9-8p of late), that may explain my excitement. And he is really my only friend here right now, I have really enjoyed getting more face time with someone during the weekend than I get all week. He just laughs at my freakish bounding when he comes through the door in the evenings. Not that I wouldn't enjoy him, or didn't in Bham where I was surrounded by friends and having wine on the porch all the time, but I think I really appreciate my time with him now. Funny how we tend to take those closest to us so for granted, and so gradually, it seems. And I am homesick in the Brazilian sense of the word for my friends and family. Saudade. I have no wine and I have no porch, but I do have friends coming into town tomorrow, so that's a very good thing. Albeit, a little more temperate than the wine on the porch crowd ;). And our friend David was in town earlier this week; Upon seeing him, I think I bear hugged him harder than I expected to just b/c I realized how much we had missed him (and his sweet wife, though she was not able to make it, sadly). Maybe I hugged him on her behalf too.  One of my studio mates made the comment to me later this week "good friends are not so plentiful that we can take them for granted." Amen. 

I know we'll meet people and make new friends here, but this is not the auto-atmosphere that we had in college, or in our neighborhood, no church that we are committed to yet, & we are living amongst Northeasterners, who don't always warm as quickly as our Southern counterparts, so I'm learning to be patient. In some conversations we've had with people, it seems they think we were supposed to have arrived with more of a game plan than we did and already be so connected and 'swimming.' I mean, WHY else would we move? I would settle for just a good dog paddle. All the reasons we moved get muddled in my mind. Don't get me wrong, I know our weaknesses in pursuing others, but I have to have hope that we're not rushing what is developing here in such a lonely little valley. 

And now, I have to go clean. And clean a much smaller space than I had in Bhm, which is also a very good thing. :)


2 comments:

April Barber said...

Love that quote by your studio mate. So true and yet I do not live like it is true sometimes. I forget how many dear friends I already have when I whine and complain for more. I don't mean to come across rude or anything, but sometimes I just want to tell people who ask the "why aren't you already settled" question to go pack their bags, move across the county and then get back to me. Sometimes I just don't think people realize how insensitive that question (and the like) comes across.

There are still days I miss our home in B'ham...but NEVER on the days I clean our four little rooms! I think I have come to love our 900 little square feet way too much!

susan said...

I'm sorry I wasn't there. I think I'm too big for planes now. You'll find your place there. You can hardly be expected to do it in just a few weeks. :-)